Sunday, September 13, 2020

September 15, 1986

September 15, 1986


I was supposed to report to University of Cincinnati no later than 9/8/1986. I received the I-20 packet on September 5, having redirected from Vishveswaraiya hostel in Varanasi to Jabalpur to Delhi. I panicked interpreting 9/8 to be August 9th. My father corrected me. It is September 8th. He was still in Jabalpur. So I had to manage everything on my own. 


I went to US Consulate around 8:30am on 6th.  A Saturday. Office was closed.  Guard at the gate was very helpful. God bless him. He asked me to come on Monday with a Reserve Bank clearance to travel with foreign currency. I had no clue how to get that. Went to RBI. It's also closed on Saturdays. Some friendly officer - courtesy some help from Yogesh Mishra's uncle - took mercy on me. Asked me to fill out some paperwork. Stamped them to give clearance blessing me profusely: जाओ बेटा, ख़ूब नाम कमाओ और देश का नाम रोशन करो। 


Monday, I went leisurely around 8:30am to the consulate again. Later, I realized people line up at 4am or so in the morning to be the first one to get in. Visa consular asked me just one question: how are you going to meet the deadline? You don't even have a plane ticket. My response was, I can get a ticket if you give me the visa. 


In the lobby, while waiting to get back my passport, I met one of my metallurgy professors from IT-BHU. He was there to get a visa to go to Orlando for a conference. I told him about my situation. He said it's very risky. 


Finally, I got my passport with the I-20 stapled to it. I asked prof what does it mean? Should I open and see what does it say?


He said not to mess with it. These guys are very sensitive. 


Now my anxiety level was very high. God knows what kind of message consular has written for the U.S. airport personnel. Maybe they will turn me back from the airport, just like Dubai officials sent back Lallu in the then popular TV serial Hum Log. 


And then at the airport, where RK (thanks RK) came to see me off, there was another drama waiting. 


My luggage - two small suitcases weighing 20 lbs each -  was checked in. Before boarding I was asked to step aside. My passport did not have 'emigration check cleared ' stamp. This was required because I had not yet received my degree. Convocation was scheduled for a much later date. 


I enquired where can I go to get the stamp. Of course, answer was, Patel Bhavan. 


That meant a loss of couple of days, rebooking ticket etc. Once again, a good natured officer came to rescue. He said he was very proud of me for what I have done - which is to graduate with a B.Tech degree from prestigious department of metallurgy from Institute of Technology at Banaras Hindu University and to get admission with scholarship from a university in USA. So, he waived the requirement and blessed me: ख़ूब नाम कमाओ और देश का नाम रोशन करो। 


And this is how my journey to US began. There are lot of back stories. For example, the day I gave my GRE exam, Rajesh was waiting eagerly to take me to see much awaited comeback movie of Dimple Kapadia - Saagar. 


Another one is of a book that I borrowed from Kamal (thank you, Kamal) to prepare for GRE vocabulary section - 

How to Build a Better Vocabulary


I must thank Dr Lele and Dr Suryanarayana also for their recommendation letters which must have been good but I have no idea since I am not supposed to know. 


When I took the flight (Thai Airways), it was my maiden flight. I had know idea what to do so I made a habit of asking around what's next. I did same when I landed at JFK. And without any fuss, I was clear to enter into US with my passport properly stamped with valid I-94 etc. So, no worries, right?


Not so easy. After I gathered my passport, I asked what is next? I was told to get customs done. I promptly got that done. What's next? Go to TWA counter to catch flight to Cincinnati. Ok. I am there. Person behind the counter asks me where are your bags? I say, what bags? I have my handbag and rest are checked in all the way to Cincinnati. She says no, you should have picked them up from the carousel and got customs clearance. Ok, so I can do that now, right? Nope. Once you crossed those double doors, you cannot go back. So, what's next. She said she will take care of it. But only when a relief agent comes to relieve her. Well, that doesn't happen and my plane is about to leave. So, she says trust me, leave the keys with me, I will have them cleared and they will be delivered to your address next day. 


Trust a complete stranger? In a foreign place? And what address? I am barely 2 hour old in this country thousands of miles away from my home. 


No way. 


But then one has to make a choice. Miss the flight. Book a new flight - which is next day. That means book a hotel. Land in a Cincinnati a day later. Good God, bad idea. 


So, I hand over the keys and walk into an almost empty plane. 


And I fall asleep. I have this thing about sleep. I can sleep in any condition. Anxiety, worries, noise - nothing bothers me. 


Couple of hours later, I landed in Cincinnati. My father had somehow figured out how to get me in good hands. He had telexed to International Students Office my itinerary requesting that someone pick me up from the airport. That office contacted Indian Students Association whose president Raj Jhanwar (Thank you, Raj) made some arrangements and Aparna Venkatachalam was at the airport waiting to pick me up. After first few words of introduction and welcome she asked where are your bags?


Well, long story short, she gave her address to TWA agent. 


Where did I stay on my very first night? Raj had ensured that I get a good night's sleep even though he was away at a camp welcoming new students- which I missed because I was one week late. He left his apartment keys with Aparna. I slept in Raj's apartment like a log ignoring all the phone calls from Aparna for the dinner. 


Next day, bags were safely delivered by the airline to Aparna's apartment. Who wouldn't fall in love with this friendly, gentle, warm and nice place called USA. I was sad when I left home. But I found happiness in this land as well. And decided to call it my new home. 


Rahul Upadhyaya | September 13, 2020 | Seattle.