Saturday, September 30, 2023

September 29, 1966

I have already written at length about the story behind this photo that was taken on September 29, 1966 at Bombay airport when he was leaving for his LLM from University of London. He ended up getting a PhD as well. 


I do not have any recollection of this day. I was not even three. I am in my mother's arms. 


I vividly remember the day he returned. Ironically I don't know the exact date. We often remember when we start a journey. Not when we returned. Moon landing? July 20, 1969. Back to earth? Search on the internet. It's a footnote. 


A sizable crowd had gathered at Ratlam station to receive him. Usually we would take 'Tanga' - a horse driven carriage - to go home. (Not the fancy one you find at Central Park in New York.) This time some senior government official had also decided to welcome back my father. So we came home in his Jeep. 


That was my first ride in a Jeep. I loved it so much, I dreamt of owning it one day. I was in US when I could afford one. Weather changed my mind. Now between four of us, we have four Prius'


There was so much food for dinner that night that steel bowls - katoris- covered the entire huge thaali- (steel plate). 


He asked me to join him. I had already eaten. We usually ate dinner around sunset. I joined him anyway. 


Since that day, until I went to Varanasi for B. Tech, we ate together from the same plate. 


(Read the earlier thread here: https://rahul-upadhyaya.blogspot.com/2023/09/september-29.html?m=1)





No comments: